Saturday 15 August 2020

Coumadin and a root canal question!?  

Coumadin and a root canal question!?  

answers 0:I am a 36 yr old female, had a MVR 2 years ago, so I take coumadin. I am scheduled for a root canal in a week, this will be my first dental *surgery* since my MVP. My dentist hasnt told me to stop my coumadin, but to be on the safe side, Im getting my INR checked day before root canal. Has anyone had this procedure done? Have they taken you off your meds? Also, they have me on Keflex 500 mg for the infection. Is this safe? I will be following my card doctors orders, but just was curious with other experiences. Also, should I be aware of any bleeding after root canal?...Show moreanswers 1:Hi I just had root Canal done Jan 4 2008. I also have a bleeding disorder that requires me to have special meds when having any surgery. My blood does not clot properly. My dentist said I would not need any meds because no Bleeding would! take place. WELL HE WAS RIGHT There was NO Bleedimg at all and it all went just fine. That was for me YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR GOOD LUCK IT WAS FINE FOR ME...answers 2:root canal is not actually surgery.... the tooth is opened and the nerve is removed, using very small files to remove all the diseased tissue.. when this is finished, the canals are filled with a material to prevent re-infection.. then it is filled with either or amalgam or resin filling... no bleedingnot nearly so bad as everyone says.... i have had one tooand, yes Keflex is safe.... it is used as pre-med and to control infection...answers 3:Previous old convention of thinking was that people on coumadin should stop taking coumadin a few days before any dental surgery. However, current practice supports keeping people on coumadin to stay on coumadin when going for dental procedures, short of very extensive ones.You are absolutely right to plan to check your INR just before your ro! ot canal - because if it's too high, your dentist may need to ! consider taking appropriate precautions to stop the bleeding, or postponing the surgery.Keflex is a very safe antibiotic and shouldn't cause you any problems.I've never had a root canal done before, so sorry I can't tell you more about the procedure. Hope it all goes well for you anyway!...answers 4:honestly you ought to end the Coumadin. i'm shocked your Dentist did no longer mandate this till now doing the technique. Coumadin has no longer something to do with germs. You run the prospect of bleeding profusely throughout and after the technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment