Sunday 5 July 2020

What do you think of siblings planning weddings only a few months apart?

Stevie Kizziar: I was 22 when I got engaged. It was this past March. My ring has a half carat diamond in a prong-set halo with diamonds down the band. I didn't think I'd want a diamond that small, but I have tiny fingers (size 4) and everything else looked like a Barbie ring when I wore it. It sounds similar to what your ring will look like. I can speak from experience that - despite my fairly flush setting - it catches on things constantly. I am constantly having to take it off. Just food for thought - With Neil Lane you are paying for the name as it is a celebrity designer. You can have an identical ring made by a local jeweler for a fraction of the cost (with the same quality diamonds), even after you factor in labor and materials. Once it is on your finger, nobody will know it's a Neil Lane piece. The general public doesn't even recognize the name so if you say 'oh, it's a Neil Lane', the average Joe won't know or care who that is. You may also regret the 1.5 carat if! you want to wear your ring 24/7 (now, is it a 1.5 ct center stone, or 1.5 total weight? The latter isn't that huge and is more wearable). If it is 1.5 ct in the center, you're losing the 'glory' of the diamond because it is getting hidden by the halo. A halo exists to make a smaller diamond look larger from far away. Don't 'eat' a 1.5 ct stone with a halo - it will actually take away from it. What do you do in your daily life? Are you going to take your ring off every time you do dishes, laundry, shower, blow dry your hair, water the lawn, etc? Do you have kids or animals you can snag your ring on? What about work? Are you around machinery, in and out of gloves, working with kids or the elderly? If you have a hands-on job, you may want a low setting with fewer prongs. Pave setting is nice because it is all hand set, but it's also a pain in the butt to have repaired without there being a telltale mark from the repair. You'll need a very skilled goldsmith so don't skimp on r! epairs if and when you need them. If you're wanting a sturdier! ring for everyday wear, pave may not be for you as the diamonds can kind of pop out over time. I'm not saying you can't have a big or elaborate ring because you absolutely CAN, but you want to make sure you either have a sturdy setting or a darn good insurance/repair policy because it WILL eventually wind up in the shop. The more 'stuff' a ring has (prongs, tiny diamonds, etc), the more potential it has for damage and repair. All rings do need repairs with time. Some just need a little more annual maintenance (such as tightening and re-tipping prongs). You also want a ring that will age with you and your tastes. A general rule is that less is more, and timeless always wins over trendy. If you can't see it on your hand at age 50, don't buy it. Congrats on the engagement! This is my ring http://oi40.tinypic.com/24evsyw.jpgI've been bored lately, so if you want me to design a ring for you I'm totally game for that. Just let me know in your 'additional details' and we can talk! about what you're looking for in a ring. (There is no cost for this as I'm just looking for something to do tonight. I'm between projects at work). It will give you something to bring to a jeweler if you ever want to have something made....Show more

Raleigh Lufkin: well its a lot but I have gone to more than 2 weddings in the summer.Are the parents okay finacially with 2 wedddingsThe 1st sister should'nt be worried because they will more than likely choose to go to the first wedding they are invited to over the second .

Sammy Hatzenbihler: exactly like the one I showed you the link of, but it is $7200 and is a little out of the price range and as I said I have realized I'm not too fond of the huge halo on either of them. Thank you so much for your help!

Luke Kosch: I've had two experiences with this:1) Brother's wedding in late March, Sister had to have hers in early May of the same year. Brother - 3 hour drive, sister -in town, travel not a concern. S! ister had plenty of chance to time this better - she is a drama queen, ! and acts like this are within her modus operandi. Brother was not entirely pleased. I thought it was ill-timed and a selfish act on the part of my sister, but I think we tend to forgive family a lot easier! :)2) This year (2008) there have been 3 out of town weddings on my wife's side. Large family's with may cousins near the same age can have this happen. We were not able to go to one -- we sent a nice gift, and the other two: we made one, are going to the other (in October)It seemed to work out, majority of family in the area, but we could not really afford to make three trips via plane out there, it was a bit much. I think you alienate out of town guests that would go to both otherwise, but hopefully there isn't any competition to out-do each other!My rule of thumb: you can't make everyone happy, choose what you can afford, and its cheaper to send a nicer gift then to travel out of town!...Show more

Merna Fauset: Living together is a really good way to get to know ! some one, and figure out if you want to be with them for the rest of your life.As for how you feel about all of this, you're going to have to have a chat with her. At least if you don't want to be together you can move out.As for furniture, you can sort out what you both of you want to keep or donate. You're not likely to get your money back from used furniture....Show more

Jannette Kotz: Schi, I see your point, but should a couple really be expected to wait another full year to marry because it's not a full 3 months away from the sibling's wedding? That sounds like being way too accommodating for a sibling. Plus, getting married over a holiday break might not be ideal for lots of reasons.Again, I'm just trying to stir up some discussion because I find the topic interesting....Show more

Donte Schoenhals: This is exactly why I think it's bad when close friends or relatives schedule their weddings too close together. It puts the guests in a difficult situation and! often, they end up having to choose one over the other if travel is in! volved, which isn't fair to the couple or the guests.The sister who scheduled her wedding after the first sister is wrong here, in my opinion. I hate that "we're teachers" excuse. Teachers have June through August for vacation, not to mention a few weeks in between for winter and spring breaks, and Christmas vacation. She should have waited a year or picked a different time. Our family rule is you don't schedule a wedding within three months of another close friend or family members wedding if they've already set their date. It causes too many problems for everyone all around.Some people will strongly disagree with me, though, saying that "No one owns the calendar." To each their own.EDIT: What is the rush with marriage? If the couple is in such a hurry to tie the knot, perhaps they should reconsider why they're getting married in the first place. If my sister (who I'm really close to) had already set her date, and I was also recently engaged, I wouldn't have scheduled my ! wedding so close to hers. I would have been glad to let her have her time and waited up to a year to get married. What's a year in the grand scheme of things, really? I honestly don't care when just friends schedule weddings so close together. That's fine. But when it's a sibling or a close relative, that's just weird. If there's heavy travel involved, one should have the courtesy to postpone a few months. If no guests have to travel more than two hours, two months is okay, but I would still never do that to my sister....Show more

Raven Purl: There isn't a lot that can be done, there's valid reasons for the dates so it's ok. I'd say that the problem is more in the 8 hour drive than anything else. If they don't like the situation, perhaps sister #2 could change the venue so that she and her sister have a double wedding.

Marita Stadick: I hope your onboard. Communication is paramount here. If she needs to dictate to be comfortable with trusting you, well that says! a ton about her background with men. You really need to slow down the ! train and really get to know her issues before you marry her. Sincerely slow down.

Mickey Isle: SInce you are going to be married, it might be a good idea to discuss this with your fiance, rather than a random bunch of busybodies who populate YA?Talk to her about it - understand her viewpoint, and explain yours calmly and rationally, like grown ups.

Somer Distilo: I can see how it might cause some problems, but I don't think it is rude. I also think it would be ridiculous for the second couple to have to wait another year to marry just so the wedding would not be 3 months away from a relative's.

Ramona Pago: Don't pool anything until you actually ARE married.She sounds like a friend of mine- always ready to ditch anything to do with the past.Beware- this may sound like a fresh start if you have been through bad relationships and had a tough time, but it can also be a symbolic (or more) obliteration of anything you bring along to the relationship that isn'! t to do with her. That includes a lot of who you are.You decide how you feel about this on your own,and then go discuss your own decision.A lot of things become much more apparent, the closer the wedding date looms.And think before you act. If you need to discuss it with someone else, turn to an old friend who knows you, not random strangers on the internet, or even ask her for some premarital counseling sessions. But don't let her obliterate your entire history....Show more

Porfirio Cahall: Personally, I think it would make more sense to move into one of the existing homes (most likely the bigger or nicer one) and sell the other. Or make the one you're not living an investment property (rent it out .. some companies and realtor can help with this).I understand her reasoning but it won't be exactly "equal" in pooling the money for the houses or the furniture since it's unlikely you'd get exactly the same amount for both, one of you would still be contributing more t! han the other. The other part of it is it looks like you have minimal ! debt right now and you'd be creating some just to buy a house that right now it sounds like you don't actually need. Another point on that is used furniture, you really don't get that much for it anyone looking to buy second hand furniture is looking to save money (even if it's not that old). Now if you're looking towards the future and neither house would suit future needs, then it may make sense to to it her way as well.My husband and I were both well established when we met. We both owned our own homes. I owned 2 actually and neither had any debt on it. One I lived in, I bought from the bank in a foreclosure sale and paid cash for it. The second used to be my great grandparents cottage/log cabin that they retired to, it left the family for a while and the people who had it before me also foreclosed on it, so I bought that from the bank too. I liked it better that way anyway, no family member can say it isn't mine since well I paid for it. My husband his house was! brand new, nicer, bigger and he had a pool so I moved in with him. We lived about 80 miles apart so I had to move, due to his job. My job I can do from anywhere. When he was house shopping he thought of the future, not just when he'd be single. He thought he'd probably get married and have kids at some point so he bought a house that could meet all those needs. He wasn't finding exactly what he wanted so he had one built. The house I lived in, I rented it out for several years and eventually sold it. My cabin, I still have.Though it was his house my husband was very welcoming and accommodating. He let me change anything I wanted to. I had 2 kids when we got married and he let them do what they wanted with their rooms too (well, within reason) and added a playground for them in the yard before we moved in. We've made changes to it over the years, added an addition, and things like that Eventually, he added me to the deed so it's equally owned by us both now. He'! s never referred to it as "my house" or reminded me that it is his.Fina! ncially we've always maintained his, hers and theirs accounts. Our theirs account is for our share debts, household expenses, things for the kids, etc. His & hers is personal debts we have. Whatever is in the his or hers accounts, we can do with what we want. Neither of us though is likely to go out and by a range rover and have the other find out when they see it....Show more

Pamela Meno: The best outcome for this would be if you were both to enlist in the same branch of service. Say, if you were both active duty Air Force, as long as you were in jobs that had openings in the same base they usually work around it, although this also means that if you're gonna have a baby, wait a little to make sure you're going to be in the same base to save you trouble. My Husband is Active AF, and I'm in the Air Guard in a separate state, he has priority being active duty, so I live with him in NM and Travel to do my standard work for the Guard once a month if you get people to! help and advise you right, you could even get your travel and hotel paid for. So if you join, make it so you can file Joint Spouse and be stationed together....Show more

Nelly Kikuchi: We had three huge family gatherings (two weddings and one diamond wedding celebration) within six weeks of each other. They were huge distances apart and everyone went to all three. I don't believe for a minute that anyone who loves these girls will choose one wedding or the other.

Jose Bouliouris: Well, considering there's two months in between, I would say it's not that big of a deal. Since the sister is concerned, I would say she's not trying to be malicious. She simply chose a time that would work best for her. Being a teacher myself, I understand the difficulty of scheduling a wedding. The sister could move her date, but the next available school vacation would be Christmas. Would family members be upset about a wedding so close to Christmas? Bottom line, there's always! going to be people who complain. They need to do what's best for them! selves and the guests will make it if they decide it's important. If they don't think the wedding is important, they didn't need to be there anyway....Show more

Arlene Maycumber: They are two separate events on two separate dates. There should be no problem.

Newton Fedorko: Ok so me and my boyfriend are serious and before you say "it won't work out" cause were 17 dont judge.what happend if were both in the military and were stationed in different places but then we get married. and later we have a baby. will we have to be seperated or can we live together ? for example am i going to have to raise the baby on my own ? please help :c

Wilfredo Muldoon: My fiancé and I are getting married in 6 months. We both are homeowners and have decided to sell our homes and pool the money together from both homes to buy a new home. In order to be “equal” she wants to also have the two of us sell all of our furniture in both homes then again pool the money together! to buy all new furniture. In my opinion doing all of this seems a bit extreme. What’s everyone’s thoughts? Both my house and her townhouse are already paid off neither of us currently have a mortgage....Show more

Jana Sakasegawa: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9shsyDXin1qa0rga.j...Oh & congrats!

James Langmyer: Moving in together and then marriage are two stressful events on their own. Selling existing homes and buying a new one adds even more. I'd be inclined to encourage her to live together in one of your existing homes and PERHAPS sell and move at some future point. Being "equal" is a state of mind and you should already be there.

Brenton Cornwall: I feel bad for you, is she a feminist? That’s extreme and ridiculous. You can share the furniture, you’ll own each other’s stuff when married anyway. When my now husband and I moved in together (at 22 and 23, now 24 and 25) much of our furniture came from what I already had, most of it was bed! room furniture as I lived at home. He had little furniture and we saved! up and bought things or used savings or when people gave us wedding gifts we accepted them (obviously) no way in hell was I going to throw out my £1000 drawers and a wardrobe to waste money on a new one. Also, selling second hand you’ll likely only be able to buy really cheap furniture as second hand stuff is worth half....Show more

Elsie Resner: Aw Odette you are so sweet to offer to do that. Your post really helped me probably more than you know. 1.5 is the TW of the ring I was looking at and it does look similar to the one you pictured but the halo is bigger which I actually have decided I really don't like. Here is a picture of it, the center stone is actually princess not round I just noticed http://www.kay.com/product1|10101|10001|-1|9906436...I'm glad you said that with the Neil Lane you are paying for the name which no one will ever know, because I never thought of that but you are totally right!I really like how yours the halo is smaller stones. I really ! would like it to be asscher or Cushion cut in the center and the center stone to be around 1.00 carat with a halo with the pave band in 14 or 18k white gold. Our price range is around $5k but a little more is fine, less would be AWESOME because the cheaper it is the sooner we can get engaged. I really fell in love with the 2ct one that is exac...Show more

Dominic Sciancalepore: i guess you could say that i'm the second sister in this situation. i'm having mine 2 months before my fiance's brother's. they've been engaged for 3 years, us a month. they've called it off before, and kept postponing it again and again (i still don't think they're getting married). either way.....WHO CARES!? if someones not going to come to your wedding just because they're planning on going to her sister's 2 months later, so be it. i wouldn't want them there anyways. the tiniest things that people worry about are so annoying. this is why i'm having a destination wedding....Show more

Ar! noldo Budzynski: Weddings are about family coming together to celebrate! a couple's union...and that is what your friend needs to keep in mind. The weddings, though close in date, are not "too close".The second wedding is being scheduled when the time is best for the couple--if family members want to come, they will. Your friend, as a sister, should be delighted that her sister has found someone she wants to marry, and should assure her that it is fine to have the weddings two months apart.Weddings are stressful enough, planning-wise, without guilt trips and family members acting like bride-zillas!--BrainBabe...Show more

Randal Deyarmond: Why not move into your place that is paid off and RENT out her place that way you now have a new INCOME coming in??? EASY MONEY dude.

Inell Riesgo: I guess it really depends on the willingness of the guests and the distance. If my sister had gotten married two months after me, it wouldn't have been a big deal because our families all live in one state (for the most part).As a wedding guest this y! ear, I went to three weddings within three months in three states - California in July, New Jersey in August and Connecticut (where I am from) in September. My wedding was in May. Yes, it was tiring but I didn't ever see it as a problem.If I were the second sister in that situation and this was really going to cause big problems, I would move my date....Show more

Sibyl Siwik: I'd be more concerned if wedding #2 was all of a sudden planned less than a month EARLIER. I see nothing wrong with what you are describing.

Elvin Weichbrodt: Here is my email so you can email me if you can't respond on here anymore: ericamorgan1986@yahoo.com

Nestor Klan: If you are 17 regardless of baby or not - you need parental consent.As for the military while most married couples are stationed together - they aren't always.

Delphine Cajka: yo pienso q podrian conservar los 2 sus casas y en caso de q lleguen a necesitar vendan pero sino no...

Virgil Menefee: Also how o! ld are you and how old were you when you got engaged? We are both 26

Leann Villalta: Agree about the houses, but furniture not so. Furniture does not sell secondhand, only very cheaply and you'll both lose out. Move everything in and sort out what you both like and get rid of the rest.Peace.

Palmira Lochridge: Now I know that the ring doesn't matter and what matters is the love it represents and the person who gave it to you, so please don't be a spoil sport and whine about all that stuff. My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years, we have been talking about marriage for quite some time and he decided he wanted me to look at rings with him to give him an idea of what I like before he buys one. The ring I have liked the most so far is a 1.5 carat TW Neil Lane round cut center stone with a pave halo and pave diamonds on the band set in white gold. However now that I have thought about it some I'm not so sure! I am literally the most indecisive person I know, I so I'd like to see some other rings to see if I may like someth! ing else more. Anyway, what does yours looks like? Pictures would be AWESOME but a description is fine too! Thanks!...Show more

Rocio Karvis: What about finding a similar design that has less cost? You can bring the picture to other jewelers and see what they have. Also, try speaking with the jeweler directly. Sometimes they can help you make it affordable but helping you chose the center diamond and side diamonds. They can give you two diamonds side by side that you cannot tell the difference between, buy vary buy hundreds of dollars. You can also have the side diamonds be cz's which would cut the cost alot. My fiancee bought my ring after speaking with the jeweller. It turns out they had one of what he wanted (but couldn't afford) which had been returned and they offered him a deal. Otherwise he would have pruchased something completely different. Consider having the ring made, or buying the band and diamonds seperately, you can somtimes get a better deal this way (! but you don't usually get a warrenty)....Show more

No comments:

Post a Comment